Monday, February 14, 2011

Pickles, for the casual Pickler


Hello! I am pizzled to be here. Thank you for reading.
To begin, I'd like to share a pickle recipe! I'd love to hear yours, if you like pickles. This recipe comes from my Uncle Bob, and it is just as no-nonsense as he is. If you are going to a party in the evening, you can make these pickles in the morning. All it takes is about 15 minutes.

What you need:
veggie of choice (green beans, asparagus, etc), enough to fill a large peanut butter jar
1.5c vinegar
1c water
.5c sugar (I like to use less)
3 cloves garlic, cut in half**
2 tbs pickling spices (spices not necessary, whole mustard seeds are fun)
1 tbs salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Put the veggies, garlic, spices, and red pepper in the jar.
Bring vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to a rolling boil.
Pour the liquid over the veggies in the jar.
Cool to room temperature.
Put the lid on and put in the fridge.
If in a hurry, cap & put directly in the fridge.
**Do not be alarmed if the garlic turns blue. Some slightly confusing details on this here: http://news.curiouscook.com/2006/12/curious-cook-in-new-york-times-colorful.html

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to pickle something this week! what to pickle... what to pickle... how does that peter piper rhyme go? about picking pickle peppers? maybe I'll pickle some peppers. then pick them. then eat them.

    ReplyDelete